After ordering a Shrimp tempura (family size), let’s start today’s chat with the meanest and most desired lady of Milan – M¥SS KETA, accompanied today by her handsome and clever, snacks friend, Riva.
Being Riva and I two big fans of chivalry, let’s start by the M¥SS of the Misses:
In Milan, you are considered like a paladin of the wild clubbing scene; but from big tunes come big responsibilities. How do you think that your role as “communicator” and representative of this range is perceived by your audience? Do you feel involved or totally decontextualized? (M¥SS KETA)
BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. AND I BELIEVE THAT THIS IS A PARTICULAR CHARACTERISTIC OF MINE DUE TO THE FACT OF USING AN IRONICAL, SATIRIC LANGUAGE MADE OF IMAGINARIES THAT BECOME METAPHORICALS.
Often we are used to linger too much on the finished product- that product that is arranged and modelled to seem perfect in its shape, but we forget to analyse the process that is actually behind all of this; how would you explain the creative and phenomenological journey which stands behind what that you offer to your audience? (Riva)
ACTUALLY I ORIENT MYSELF BASED ON THE FINISHED PRODUCT (OR THE IDEA OF HOW IT SHOULD BE). EXISTING NO ABSOLUT RULES TO FOLLOW IN MUSIC, EVERYONE INVENTS THEIR OWNS FROM TIME TO TIME, BASED ON WHAT THEY WANT TO MAKE AND USE WHATEVER METHOD THEY PREFER TO GET THE DESIRED RESULT. I CANNOT TELL YOU THAT I LIKE BEING RECLUSE IN A STUDIO IN FRONT OF A COMPUTER, I’D RATHER BE ON THE BEACH WITH A GOOD DRINK AND FRESH FISH, BUT HEARING OF SOMETHING THAT UNTIL A FEW MOMENTS BEFORE WAS ONLY A FLUCTUATING IDEA OF MINE, BECOMING SOMETHING REAL AND SOLID GIVES ME SO MUCH JOY THAT MAKES ME FORGET THE “CHILDBIRTH” PAIN.
Your artistic journeys have often found concreteness in the nightlife, how would you explain this enviable affinity?
– M¥SS KETA: IT IS UNAVOIDABLE THAT A PROJECT AS THE ONE OF M¥SS IS WELCOMED AND FINDS A VOICE IN THE NIGHTLIFE: AFTER ALL, IT WAS CONCEIVED DURING LONG FUSSY AND SPARKLING NIGHTS. FURTHERMORE THE NIGHT WORLD IS OUR LAND OF FREEDOM AND LIBERATION.
– RIVA: I THINK IT IS BECAUSE I LIKE TO DRINK SO MUCH AND WHEN I AM OUT DRINKING I BECOME OFTEN HARRASSMENT AND TALKITIVE, AND SOMETIMES I START TALKING TO PEOPLE ABOUT MY PROJECTS WITH MORE EASE (SOMETHING THAT I DO MUCH LESS WHILE SOBER). SO IF OTHER TIPSY PEOPLE HEED ME MAYBE ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER.
We all know that the best things happen during the night, what does the night represent for you? The risk of losing yourself or the luck of finding yourself?
– M¥SS KETA: THE NIGHT REPRESENTS FOR ME A WORLD WITH NO CHAINS, FREE AND IN WHICH YOU CAN EXPRESS YOURSELF SHOWING YOUR OWN REALNESS. THIS IS THE SAME FREEDOM THAT IS EXPRESSED IN MY SONGS AND FROM MY IMAGINARY. A WORLD THAT DOES NOT JUDGE BUT WELCOMES, WHERE DEFINITIONS DO NOT EXIST, AND WHERE FACETS ARE MULTIPLICATED.
– RIVA: BOTH THINGS
Your projects are born from the embrace between pop culture and a more modest context of clubbing, how can these two different realities coexist in such an harmonious way? (M¥SS KETA)
I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT REALITIES BETWEEN BOTH, ACTUALLY, I BELIEVE THAT THE DIALOGUE BETWEEN POP AND UNDERGROUND CULTURE HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY STRONG; AT THE END OF THE DAY POP CULTURE HAS ALWAYS BEEN INSPIRED BY THE UNDERGROUND MOVEMENTS, AND THE LATTER HAS ALWAYS REWORKED POP LANGUAGE PRESENTING IT ON ITS OWN WAY.
Behind your projects, one can perceive a wide research; How would you describe the works you do? Which are your “secret ingredients”? (Riva)
IF I HAD TO DESCRIBE MY WORKS AT THE MOMENT SURELY I WOULD NOT TELL YOU THAT I AM A MICHELIN STAR, BUT I BELIEVE TO BE A GOOD BISTROT LIKE GIACOMO WHERE YOU FIND EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING AND SURELY YOU EAT WELL, EVEN IF IT IS A BIT PRICY. MY SECRET INGREDIENT IS LOVE
People underestimate the power of a mask, what does this mean represents for you ?(M¥SS KETA)
THE POWER OF THE MASK IS MULTIPLE : IF WE CONSIDER THE MEANING OF THE MASK IN GREEK THEATRE, IT WAS USED FOR ONE SIDE TO TRANSMIT THE “PURIFYING” TRUTH TO THE AUDIENCE, AND ON THE OTHER SIDE IT EMBODIED COMMON HUMAN CHARACTERISTICS, UPON EVERYONE CAN REFLECT.
IT IS THE SAME DOUBLE MEANING THAT MY MASK HAS: VEILS AND UNVEILS AT THE SAME TIME.
Often, they say that the clubbing world doesn’t pay back the efforts made, we have experienced many situations where clubs have failed or where they have completely redesigned their guide-lines to support the changes, it is like we live the clubbing reality like food with due date so it must be consumed before it rots. Do you think “selling” yourself a bit is a strategic move or it isn’t really consistent? (RIVA)
ACCORDING TO THE FINAL RESULT A PERSON WANTS TO OBTAIN, AN INDIVIDUAL WILL ADOPT DIFFERENT STRATEGIES: IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY YOU WILL SELL YOURSELF A LOT, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE ART YOU WILL CARE FOR OTHER ASPECTS (BUT IN THIS CASE YOU PROBABLY HAVE ALREADY THE FUNDS)
We have decided to call this interview “all you can eat” because people are hungry, do you think that the level of the general and current panorama of clubbing can satisfy the insatiable mouths of the new club kids? Do you think that the level has been lowered?
– M¥SS KETA: I NEED TO SAY THAT INSATIABLE MOUTHS WILL ALWAYS BE INSATIABLE BY DEFINITION, BUT I CAN SAY THAT IN ITS MANY TRANSFORMATIONS AND IN ITS VARIED DEVELOPMENTS, NOWDAYS CLUBBING HAS A GOOD POTENTIAL LEVEL OF FUN. WE NEED TO REMEMBER THAT FUN STARTS FROM OUR HEARTS, SO IF TIMES GET DARKER IT GETS MORE DIFFICULT TO LET YOURSELF GO. IF I HAVE TO TALK ABOUT MY FAVORITE PERIOD, PARTIES WITH THE LAWYER AGNELLI STILL HAVE A PLACE IN MY HEART (ALSO BECAUSE THE CATERING WAS REALLY AMAZING, HE IMPORTED SUSHI TO ITALY, I REST MY CASE).
– RIVA: I THINK THAT THERE ARE MUCH MORE OPTIONS AND POSSIBILITIES TO CHOOSE FROM, INTERESTING REALITIES CONTINUE TO EXIST AND THEY KEEP COMING TO LIFE, AS MUCH AS IT CONTINUES TO EXIST AND BE BORN (AND DIE) DISASTROUS ONES.